Sleeping in my brace

Curvy Girls Forum allows girls impacted by scoliosis from all around the world to share their common experiences, give and get advise, while feeling connected.
Abby18

Re: Sleeping in my brace

Post by Abby18 »

Izobel000 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 am
Abby18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:23 pm Welcome Mackenna! Since you have only been wearing your brace for a few days, I recommend to take it slowly. Baby steps.
I forgot to mention that Abby, but I definitely agree! I also have multiple stomach-related medical issues, and it took me two whole months to make it through the whole night with the brace on!
Yeah!
Abby
11 years old
45 degree curve
Boston Brace
Abby18

Post by Abby18 »

mlj10839 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 am Thank you so much
Of course!
Abby
11 years old
45 degree curve
Boston Brace
Abby18

Post by Abby18 »

Abby18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:23 pm Something that definitely helps is pillows, on your side or wherever you want. I would substitute a normal pillow for a body pillow and like hug it, but my body pillow actually came TODAY, so I'm excited to try it out and see if it helps. I'll tell you tomorrow how it is!
Okay, so I slept with my body pillow for the first time last night, and it was pretty helpful. It gives you extra support and it feels nice just to have something to grab onto and hug. The one I got also has this kind of cooling technology, so it doesn't get too warm with your body temp. I was super excited for this because it's been hot and I'm like sweating at night! But, last night it was actually kinda cool, so I had pj shorts and wasnt wearing anything over my brace (just my tank top under and brace over), so I was chilly! And the pillow actually didn't get warm, but I kinda wanted it to (for the first time in forever), lol. So I ended up getting an extra blanket. But today I think it is going to be hotter, so I'm excited to be like, not sweating in my sleep!! :) But yeah. Hope this helps! 😊
Abby
11 years old
45 degree curve
Boston Brace
mlj10839

Post by mlj10839 »

Thank you I will try a body pillow
Zeeta the dog

Post by Zeeta the dog »

I think I will too! :)
👋 Zeeta ❤️😘
~~~
In between 27-35° Lumbar C curve
Charleston night brace
12 years old

Abby18

Post by Abby18 »

:) 👍
Abby
11 years old
45 degree curve
Boston Brace
Zeeta the dog

Post by Zeeta the dog »

😄
👋 Zeeta ❤️😘
~~~
Charleston night brace
12 years old

LaneyCakes

Post by LaneyCakes »

Hey Mackenna! I hope you feel comfortable here in the curvygirls forum! The advice that I have is that you should sleep on the side that is opposite of your curve, I have a curve to my right so I sleep on the left. My schroth therapist told me that gravity pushes against your curve so it helps the brace. I also recommend getting a body pillow and putting another pillow between your legs so the edge of the brace doesn't hurt your leg when you are laying down. (Like Caroline said lol) On a completely different note, you should read "Braced" by Allison Gerber if you haven't already. It is about a girl who has scoliosis, and it helped me feel like I am not alone. It also has some good advice/tips!
Zeeta the dog

Post by Zeeta the dog »

LaneyCakes wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:34 am Hey Mackenna! I hope you feel comfortable here in the curvygirls forum! The advice that I have is that you should sleep on the side that is opposite of your curve, I have a curve to my right so I sleep on the left. My schroth therapist told me that gravity pushes against your curve so it helps the brace. I also recommend getting a body pillow and putting another pillow between your legs so the edge of the brace doesn't hurt your leg when you are laying down. (Like Caroline said lol) On a completely different note, you should read "Braced" by Allison Gerber if you haven't already. It is about a girl who has scoliosis, and it helped me feel like I am not alone. It also has some good advice/tips!
Yeah. Another great book about a girl in 7th grade with scoliosis that I'd totally recommend is Dear Isaac Newton, You're Ruining My Life by Rachel Hruza.
👋 Zeeta ❤️😘
~~~
Charleston night brace
12 years old

Izobel000

Post by Izobel000 »

Zeeta the dog wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 pm
LaneyCakes wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:34 am Hey Mackenna! I hope you feel comfortable here in the curvygirls forum! The advice that I have is that you should sleep on the side that is opposite of your curve, I have a curve to my right so I sleep on the left. My schroth therapist told me that gravity pushes against your curve so it helps the brace. I also recommend getting a body pillow and putting another pillow between your legs so the edge of the brace doesn't hurt your leg when you are laying down. (Like Caroline said lol) On a completely different note, you should read "Braced" by Allison Gerber if you haven't already. It is about a girl who has scoliosis, and it helped me feel like I am not alone. It also has some good advice/tips!
Yeah. Another great book about a girl in 7th grade with scoliosis that I'd totally recommend is Dear Isaac Newton, You're Ruining My Life by Rachel Hruza.
I've never heard of that book Zeeta! I'll definitely check it out - thank you so much!!
izobel
2nd Boston brace
curves ~ 19 and 36
"stay afraid, but do it anyway."