How to introcuce myself with a brace?

Curvy Girls Forum allows girls impacted by scoliosis from all around the world to share their common experiences, give and get advise, while feeling connected.
ainsley789

How to introcuce myself with a brace?

Post by ainsley789 »

Hi! I'm new here and have a 30 degree thoracic curve and a 33 degree lumbar curve. I just got my brace a week and a half ago, and just started schroth therapy. Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce myself with the brace? I'm going to camp next week and I'm a little nervous. Thanks in advance! :)
Abby18

Re: How to introcuce myself with a brace?

Post by Abby18 »

Hey! Welcome! At school I personally didn't tell most of the kids in my class, mainly just my friends. But barely anyone. My teacher knew too though. I don't really have any tips for camp, I've never been to one. Maybe you can tell the camp leaders (If there are) about your scoliosis, and needs with your brace. Maybe there is someone there at your camp who also has scoliosis. So yeah, I don't really have much tips about camp, but some other girls might. Things will get better with wearing your brace, it just takes time. If you have any other questions or if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask! 😁💛
Abby
11 years old
45 degree curve
Boston Brace
ainsley789

Post by ainsley789 »

Thanks!
Zeeta the dog

Post by Zeeta the dog »

Hey! I'm actually going to a camp in 2 weeks! (sleep away camp). My mom told the leaders and my counselors about it in advance, and I don't plan to hide my brace or tell people specifically. I'll just do whatever I need to do (with changing into it when I need to and all that) and if anyone asks I'll answer, if they stay quiet I will to! That's just me, I'm always a bit shy and don't like announcing things. You should do whatever you feel comfortable with, and don't hesitate to say if you're uncomfortable!
👋 Zeeta ❤️😘
~~~
In between 27-35° Lumbar C curve
Charleston night brace
12 years old

Abby18

Post by Abby18 »

Zeeta the dog wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:36 pm Hey! I'm actually going to a camp in 2 weeks! (sleep away camp). My mom told the leaders and my counselors about it in advance, and I don't plan to hide my brace or tell people specifically. I'll just do whatever I need to do (with changing into it when I need to and all that) and if anyone asks I'll answer, if they stay quiet I will to! That's just me, I'm always a bit shy and don't like announcing things. You should do whatever you feel comfortable with, and don't hesitate to say if you're uncomfortable!
That's great advice!
Abby
11 years old
45 degree curve
Boston Brace
Slimequeen08

Post by Slimequeen08 »

ainsley789 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:13 pm Hi! I'm new here and have a 30 degree thoracic curve and a 33 degree lumbar curve. I just got my brace a week and a half ago, and just started schroth therapy. Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce myself with the brace? I'm going to camp next week and I'm a little nervous. Thanks in advance! :)
Hi! Welcome, so happy you're here. Btw I'm Anna I'm 12 years old (going to be 13 in oct) I LOVE slime also. Don't be nervous, I never went to school with my brace, neither activities and such, I had it under my clothes. I just had a spinal Fusion a few weeks ago. So I'm done bracing, so, I way to introduce your self with a brace is tell them about it. I have scoliosis, and I wear this to help my curve. If you have a problem with that, well technically its your problem. Try to stay strong and positive. You got this girl!
Anna-12
Oliviaosis

Post by Oliviaosis »

ainsley789 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:13 pm Hi! I'm new here and have a 30 degree thoracic curve and a 33 degree lumbar curve. I just got my brace a week and a half ago, and just started schroth therapy. Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce myself with the brace? I'm going to camp next week and I'm a little nervous. Thanks in advance! :)
Hey, I think you did good introducing yourself? I don’t have any advice. Im also going to camp, in about a week, I go on the 13th, I have had my brace for over a year and a half, it will probably be challenging at first, I mean your still getting used to it. Im going to bring my brace if I’m in a cabin with my friends. But I know you probably have different rules. I also do Schroth, I think it’s boring. Anyways, you are gonna do great no matter what!!
Olivia
S Curve
19 and 23 degrees
Boston Brace
mlj10839

Post by mlj10839 »

Hi girl I do not have very much advice I do recommend to stay positive sometimes it is the best thing to do. Plus getting used to the brace is hard. I have had mine for almost 2 months now and trust me once you get used to it it is a lot easier to work with it. Hope this helps! :)