Just got diagnosed!

Curvy Girls Forum allows girls impacted by scoliosis from all around the world to share their common experiences, give and get advise, while feeling connected.
Em(brace)

Just got diagnosed!

Post by Em(brace) »

Hey y’all!

My name is Em. I am new here and just found out I need a Boston brace that I wear 20hr and 2 years! It’s gonna be a tropical pattern! I’m gonna name it Mandisa! I would appreciate any brace success stories and any advice. I also have a stress fracture that is never going to heal!

-Em
Izobel000

Re: Just got diagnosed!

Post by Izobel000 »

Hi!

My name is Izobel, I'm 13 years old and I've been wearing a Boston Brace 3D for a little over 2 years now. I wear mine for 19 hours a day. I got diagnosed in November of 2019, with curves of 26 and 38. I was immediately put into a Boston Brace, though the wait time had me getting it in early January (Jan. 4th i'm pretty sure). I wasn't a huge fan of it at the time, though it wasn't a big issue for me.
For a little background, I have anxiety, OCD, and a couple stomach related issues, so wearing a tight brace around my stomach was less than ideal.
Because of the added issues I had (and still have) when it came to my brace it took me 2 months or so to get completely used to it. Sleeping was much easier for me personally than wearing it during the day, and I really didn't have much of a problem with wearing it overnight and falling asleep. I know sleeping is an issue for other people though.
My first follow-up, out of brace appt was in March of 2020 (after I was fully adjusted to my brace) It was at the beginning of March, before the pandemic. My curves were stable, and went down a bit. They were now at 19 and 36.
I only got to wear my brace to school once before the COVID pandemic hit, so I don't have much experience in that front, but I was able to wear my brace even more once the pandemic hit. Luckily, I didn't have many online classes to do, so I was able to get my hours in.
I've had a couple out of brace appts since then, and my curves have been completely steady, and not increasing at all! (which is absolutely amazing, and such a big accomplishment for me).
At my last appointment towards the end of December, I was told that I would be able to hopefully go into a night brace towards the summer of this year. My curves have stayed stable thanks to the brace, and everything has been great on my brace front.
Though there is a lot of ups and downs when it comes to bracing, it's such a great experience that I honestly wouldn't change if I had to (even if that sounds crazy).
On terms of advice...
- when shopping for clothes make sure to bring your brace! i always brought mine in a duffel bag, and would put it on in the fitting room to check outfits.
- don't worry too much about what other people think of your brace. personally, i was ALWAYS worried that whenever i'd go out, hang out with friends, etc. that everyone would see it but to be honest everyone is worried about themselves too much to really notice the brace.
- remember that whatever happens YOU CAN DO IT! curvygirls will always be here for you, and let us know if you ever need anything.
- i'd recommend joining a curvygirls group in your area if you haven't already. i've benefitted from talking to other girls with scoliosis not online.
other than that, i wish you the best of luck pk, and please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them.

- izobel <3
izobel
fourteen year old
freshman in high school
boston brace & curves ~~ 30 & 38
Em(brace)

Post by Em(brace) »

Thank you so much Izobel! I have anxiety as well. Also depression, so knowing I needed a brace was quite difficult! CONGRATS ON THE NIGHT BRACE!!!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳🤩 I did join a CG group and am very excited because the meeting is 10 days after I get my brace. Any name ideas????? I also ordered a higgy bear, which is a bear with its own matching brace! Hopefully the brace works for me! The lady is so nice and is going to try to get it to me before my fitting!
Anyway my only questions:
Any name ideas for my brace???
Any name ideas for my bear????

-PK
S curve
14 & 23 degrees
Boston Brace
PK
13 years old
S Curve
15 and 24 degrees
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7

Izobel000

Post by Izobel000 »

Oh absolutely! Thank you! <33
For brace names, I actually named my first one Shelly (because my brace was like my turtle shell) and my second one was named Beatrix (not sure why) and my third, which is the one i'm currently wearing is named Blue (because it's blue lol) there have been a couple posts in the past on the forum that you can check out where there's a couple name ideas (links :: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3372&p=23120&hilit=shelly#p23120 , viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3495&p=24056&hilit=shelly#p24056 , viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5027&p=33328&hilit=shelly#p33328)
and then for bear names i'm not too sure. I have gotten one higgy bear, but I kinda forgot to name it xD
izobel
fourteen year old
freshman in high school
Em(brace)

Post by Em(brace) »

You better name it Izobel! ;) lol xD

-PK
S curve
14 & 23 degrees
Boston brace
PK
13 years old
S Curve
15 and 24 degrees
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7

Izobel000

Post by Izobel000 »

Em(brace) wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:13 pm You better name it Izobel! ;) lol xD

-PK
S curve
14 & 23 degrees
Boston brace
xDD
izobel
fourteen year old
freshman in high school
Em(brace)

Post by Em(brace) »

PS. Figured out my name for my brace: SUNNY!!!! It’s a sunset with palm trees pattern so….

-PK
S curve~14 & 23
Boston brace
PK
13 years old
S Curve
15 and 24 degrees

Abby18

Post by Abby18 »

Ooh thats a great name! I've never really named my braces, idk why but I've just never got around to it, and I don't know what to name it anyways.. so I just refer to it as "brace" lol. I'm so original!! xD
Abby :)
12 years old
45 degree curve
1st boston brace for 9 and a half months
On my 2nd Brace
Izobel000

Post by Izobel000 »

Em(brace) wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:17 pm PS. Figured out my name for my brace: SUNNY!!!! It’s a sunset with palm trees pattern so….

-PK
S curve~14 & 23
Boston brace
cute!!
izobel
fourteen year old
freshman in high school
Em(brace)

Post by Em(brace) »

Decided actually on Cali! #Southern Cal! Lol

-PK
S curve~14 & 23
Boston brace soon

PK
13 years old
S Curve
15 and 24 degrees